Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Ideas For An Old Movie

If you're into cynicism (and who isn't?), you might have seen Joel Gallen's Not Another Teen Movie, a hit-and-miss parody of the teen movies and the cliches that they've become (Gallen is now hard at work at follow-up, Romantic Comedy, about... well, you know).

Feeling somewhat inspired by Gallen's efforts, I'm launching a similar project, with the working title Not Another Old Movie (it won't actually be called that. I just wanted to give people an idea of what it would be like). I'm hoping to throw together various bits of old movies - Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Citizen Kane, etc. - into one big rollicking satire of a film.

And, yes, I'm aware that this may flop. That's why I want to try it.

What I'd really like is for you, dear reader, to help me along. What old movies are near and dear to your heart, and should not be left out? What old films are crying out to be satired?*

Also (and this is more difficult, but I'd like you to give it a shot), what stereotypes do you see in old movies? In teen movies, it's a piece of cake - the big jock, the funny fat guy, the token black guy, the mean cheerleader, etc. Same for romantic comedies, or horror movies. For old movies, it's trickier - most of the movies we remember didn't just resort to form, but didn't something new and exciting. But some of them did. And some of them created the stereotypes we can't get away from today.

My definition of old movies will be: anything before 1960. That's not set in stone, of course, since Breakfast at Tiffany's was made in 1961, and it will be included. But it applies to the old movie rule, where Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) would not.

That's the dog and pony show, ladies and gentlemen. I'd love to hear from you. I'm gonna need a lot of help on this one.


*"Satire" is not a verb. Do not attempt to such literary stunts at home. I am a professional.**

**Not really.

3 Comments:

At September 01, 2005 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to include "An Affair to Remember". Tragically missing the meeting on the top of the Empire State Building...so wonderful. Too many movies have used this as a base to not include it.

Alicia

 
At September 02, 2005 11:52 PM, Blogger Erin said...

How about "It's a Wonderful Life"? I'm too tired to think of the stereotypes, but they've gotta be in there. But generally I think the movie's been overplayed. Or maybe it's just been over-satired* and you're better off not having anything to do with it. I'm not sure yet. But I do know that I shouldn't post on blogs when I'm really tired...I tend to ramble.

*You may be a professional, but I'm an English teacher. I have a license to create words out of proper grammatical restrictions

 
At September 07, 2005 7:38 PM, Blogger Erin said...

It's not bad enough to have to deal with it at the movie theatre, on TV, and in our mailboxes (real and cyber). Noooo...we have to have junk mail posted on our blogs now. Thanks a lot, Capitalism!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home