Friday, July 14, 2006

Heathens and Heretics

A few of you noticed the ad in my last post, which is nothing if not heretical, but rather funny, proving the point that: If you're gonna piss the church off, at least have a good laugh doing it. It's part of larger website who's chief purpose seems to be to offend every Christian ever, which I wouldn't applaud if they weren't so good at it.



One of my professors continually rails against the "trinketizing" of the Gospel, putting God into little packages that can be sold for profit. I'm not opposed to Christian T-Shirts or bumper stickers, in general - after all, if your life isn't going to reflect Christ, at least your car will (I know, you're offended already. Stick with me). It's reached a point in Christian circles in which people simply don't have contact with the outside world, and everyone has their sanctified version of society: you can listen to your Christian music, hang out with your youth group, and never really leave your Christian box. And here's the thing: everyone knows someone like that, but nobody is like that. Nobody wants to be part of the problem.

Well, I'm part of the problem. I go to a Christian school, in which virtually everyone I have contact with is a Christian. I work for the campus Christian radio station. I don't spend a lot of time off campus doing mission work, instead I spend my time on campus, spending time with other Christians. It's almost like a monastery, except there's girls.

I'm not saying there's not justification for the time I spend here: I'm here for a reason, I'm learning how to do the work I want to do, and I believe that God can do amazing things through the media, and I'm excited to be a part of that. But I'm not there yet. I'm still here, and while I'm here, I'm part of the problem - A Christian absorbed in his Christian world, completely separate from that "secular" world that's out there. Somewhere.

I don't have the time, energy, experience, or wisdom to follow this argument to its logical conclusion about faith, works, the need for Christians to live their faith in the "real world," Christianity's lack of relevance in our current culture, and the way the Church has watered down its message in order to try to be relevant in our current culture. I don't want to come across as being too cynical: I truly believe that a generation of world-changers is flooding the job market, and revival is coming. So, instead, I'll leave you to visit the site, learn why Jesus cut his hair so he wouldn't look like a homo, and maybe buy yourself a "What Would Jesus Do?" thong. You've earned it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home