Thursday, March 22, 2007

Campbellite, eh?

Laura dug this up from a few years ago and posted it again, so I thought I'd have a go at finally taking one of these "What Denomination Are You?" tests. I liked this one because it let you weight the questions you felt were most important, and let you give a "No Opinion" answer. Therefore, things I'm not really sure about - Heaven and Hell, the Rapture, etc - I can just say that I don't know and it's not that important to me, and focus more on Church and State, communion, and church government. It made it more fun than the classic rate-this-between-one-and-five tests.

Here are my results. I know it's ridiculous to be a little bit giddy about being 100% Lutheran, and yet I can't help myself. That'll show 'em. Those Methodists haven't gotten to me yet.

Still, you can see the whole theological pattern to my upbringing right here. Alright, fine, you can't, but I can. The list shows somebody who grew up with a strong Lutheran tradition combined with immersion (if you'll excuse the phrase) in the worlds of Baptists and Methodists for most of their life. And it at least clarifies a glimmer of why I've never been all that comfortable in Presbyterian churches, though I never knew that it was a Presbyterian thing, and not just a I-don't-like-this-place thing. Apparently, I feel strongly enough that I'd rather be a Campbellite. And I don't know what a Campbellite is.

100% Lutheran
84% Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinist)
83% Easter Orthodox
83% Wesleyan/Methodist/Nazarene
81% Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker, etc.)
81% Anglican/Episcopal/Church Of England
81% Baptist (Non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
76% Congregational/United Church of God
71% Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
67% Roman Catholic
62% Seventh Day Adventist
61% Church of Christ/Campbellite
55% Presbyterian/Reformed

9 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I've provided you with a source of peace and affirmation on your religious tradition.

And hey, if #3 is Orthodox, that means you'll fit right in at church when you come to visit me, yes?

 
At March 22, 2007 4:26 PM, Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

My list was somewhat similar, except I had a much more severe dropoff after the Anglican, Lutheran, Orthodox triad. I was down at 11% for Baptist. Unsurprizing. My theology is in tune with the liturgical churches, though not so much with practice, as they seem to have lost their grip several decades ago.

Campbellites are a kind of Scottish Presbyterian who tried to do do a reform/unity thing in the 19th C. I think one of the Bethany Colleges is theirs.

 
At March 22, 2007 8:59 PM, Blogger Dubbahdee said...

What fun! Epsecially the ranking of importance. That really puts a fascinating spin on it. I was actually a bit surprised to see my top ranking. I figured presby would figure high, and not too surprised that Episcopal ranked up there. But Eastern Orthodox? I guess that explains my barely restrained urge to remain standing through the entire service and my deep (though sublimated) desire for processionals with lots of incense.

Like you, this probably says not much to you about me, but it says a lot to me about me -- and probably AVI will chuckle to read it as well. We should do this in Sunday School someday. What a hoot!

Percent Rank Item
(100%) 1: Eastern Orthodox
(97%) 2: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(83%) 3: Presbyterian/Reformed
(76%) 4: Lutheran
(71%) 5: Roman Catholic
(70%) 6: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(62%) 7: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(44%) 8: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(41%) 9: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(40%) 10: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(37%) 11: Seventh-Day Adventist
(30%) 12: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(22%) 13: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist

 
At March 23, 2007 11:08 AM, Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

That "mad as a hatter" thing you're doing the clever variation of, BTW: I must have told you at some point what it was that made hatters insane. The felt for hats in the 19th C was treated with mercury. Constant exposure to the mercury gave them neurological damage.

 
At March 23, 2007 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd be Presbyterian first. I kept wishing they'd combine items so my results might not be accurate.
100%) 1: Presbyterian/Reformed
(85%) 2: Eastern Orthodox
(82%) 3: Lutheran
(82%) 4: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(75%) 5: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(75%) 6: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(66%) 7: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(59%) 8: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(58%) 9: Roman Catholic
(56%) 10: Seventh-Day Adventist
(48%) 11: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(46%) 12: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(32%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite

 
At March 23, 2007 8:02 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

How am I more Catholic than you? I learned Catholicism from you.

 
At March 23, 2007 11:02 PM, Blogger GraniteDad said...

This test is stupid. I was 100% Baptist/Calvinist even with rejecting predestination as a doctrine, and nothing else was under 55%. Ridiculous. I had to jury-rig the answers to calibrate the results. It seems that if you mark a question as "Don't Know" and Low priority, it takes that as waffling, not that the question is doctrinally unimportant.

 
At March 24, 2007 9:10 AM, Blogger Dubbahdee said...

Well, if you indicate a lack of knowledge about a doctrinal point, one might make the assumption that you haven't given it much thought. That would indicate that it is not particularly important...to you. Even if you are struggling to figure out a particularly thorny problem, you will usually have some kind of opinion about it.
Sure it's stupid. That doesn't mean it's wrong. ;-)

 
At March 24, 2007 5:40 PM, Blogger GraniteDad said...

Well, yes, I had opinions on the subjects, but none of the questions lined up. So I had to choose either Not Sure or an answer that didn't match my perspective. Maybe I'll write my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home