Friday, May 29, 2009

Empire Online: The Cryptic Canvas

I had loads of fun with this:

In honor of their 20th anniversary, Empire Online released a movie game called The Cryptic Canvas, a painting with 50 different movie titles hidden inside. Some are simple and straightforward, some are groaners, and some are fiendishly difficult. It's a good waste of a time while you're doing something else.

Here's a hint right out of the gate: all of the movies are from the past 20 years.


I've completed the puzzle, so I won't give anything away, but if you get stuck I'll put some hints for some of the hard ones in the comments, though even then I won't give anything away.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At May 29, 2009 5:04 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

Here are hints on the tougher ones:

1. Those three girls are not cheerleaders, nor are they soccer players. They just dress alike. In fact, they look exactly alike.

2. Look closely at the plane. It has passengers.

3. The name of the windmill's movie is "The Red Windmill." Or is it?

4. The books being ground up are not biographies.

5. There are no women with those men, you'll note.

6. There's more than one Johnny Depp movie referenced here.

7. There's another movie underneath the giant feet. You might have to zoom out or in to get it.

8. Those flags are dead giveaways.

9. It looks like Empire is 20 years old.

10. What kind of flower IS that bird carrying, anyway?

 
At May 31, 2009 8:11 PM, Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

Any Adam Sandler movies?

 
At May 31, 2009 11:16 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

I don't think so. Not that I recall.

 
At June 01, 2009 3:55 PM, Blogger Erin said...

No to Sandler, though there is a Jim Carey one.

I got 40+ right away, got caught up on a few, but there are several in there that I've never heard of! And with so many great movies out there...did they have to go obscure? Or am I just that uncultured?

 
At June 01, 2009 5:53 PM, Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

There was a family joke about John-Adrian in my comment.

 
At June 01, 2009 6:07 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

There were only one or two that I thought were a little obscure, and those that were, I thought the clues were extremely obvious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home