Saturday, June 11, 2005

Help Wanted

So, I've been working hard on screenplays for films that I'll be shooting this spring and fall. Still, I'm blanking on the script that I'm most interested in, which is the romantic comedy starring Justin Ladd that I'll be shooting in the spring as my directed study. I need some help, especially from any readers of a female persuasion. Though I'll take any sort of guidance, even if it's sarcastic (that's an unwise thing for a Wyman to say, but it needed to be said).

The plotline goes like this: all of Justin's friends are very concerned about his lack of a girlfriend, so they all conspire together to help him wrangle one. To do so, they plan out an elaborate ruse to make Justin look as good as possible to this girl. This is where it gets tricky. What is it that makes a guy seem very attractive to a girl (ignoring looks) in the first thirty seconds that they come in contact? What would impress her? I need ideas, even vague ones. Should he be playing with a dog? Be playing guitar/piano/zither? Dressed very nicely? On horseback? Playing guitar/piano/whatnot to his dog while dressed nicely on horseback? Should he rescue her from some troublesome situation (y'know, the whole "princess in the tallest tower"/"damsel in distress" bit)? Should he sweep her off her feet with debonair charm and sparkling conversation? Should he actually physically sweep her off her feet? Nothing is too silly or too serious to be mentioned. I just need some fresh ideas.

You can respond to this post - or, if you're feeling bold, e-mail in thoughts to prodigaldown@hotmail.com

6 Comments:

At June 13, 2005 9:44 AM, Blogger Erin said...

One word Ben: baby. It might be hard for you to convince someone to let them borrow their precious child and you'd be working with, well, a baby. But girls are suckers for guys holding babies and it leaves more room for the guy to be unknowingly or unwillingly set up if that's the angle you want to take. Plus, you can have a lot of funny incidents with a guy trying to take care of a baby. A dog would be an okay substitute if the baby thing doesn't work out.

 
At June 14, 2005 5:14 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Wyman, ol' buddy, I'm ever at your service. Let me know what I can help with, be it script consulting, acting, being on your crew, just let me know.

Okay, back to my Gilmore Girls reruns...

-ben

 
At June 16, 2005 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the baby thing. That is a big one. I also think it would be funny if he tried to "cover all the bases" and was doing as many as he could at the same time. Best of luck with it!

 
At June 20, 2005 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell for the playing the guitar thing so I recommend that. MOM

 
At August 15, 2005 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just have the guy be himself. It's worked for me. Look at all the girls I have... oh wait. scratch that. What if the girl thought he was someone else. I still think you should put in there somewhere a blind person driving a car.

jeremy

 
At October 10, 2005 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Ben, you need advice on a romantic comedy so the hopeless romantics of Davis F are here to help you out. Here are some suggestions of ours:
1. Have the guy write and play (on guitar or piano) a song for this girl. I think that's every girl's wish to have a song written about her.
2. Have the guy serenade the girl from outside her window.
3. While walking down a sidewalk, have the guy switch places with the girl so that he is always on the road side (a sign of protection).
4. For fashion advice, refer to Ty Pennington's attire. However, only the cut off shirts can be pulled off if the guy should have protruding muscles like Ty.
5. When going to a restaurant, the guy should always open both sets of doors leading into the restaurant.
6. Roses are always a good thing.
7. Quality "I could make you happy forever" humor is a plus. No cheesy pick up lines.
8. Quote such movies as "The Notebook," "A Walk to Remember," "Sweet Home Alabama," "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Serendipity." If you need to borrow any of them, we have them all.
9. A kiss on the lips is good, but a kiss on the forehead is even better.
10. Words such as beautiful, gorgeous or stunning are always preferred over pretty or cute. Captivating eyes is always a plus.
11. Cowboy hats work nicely. But only the type that correspond with the Ty Pennington outfits.
12. Accents = Woo hoo! Especially southern ones (consult Sweet Home Alabama for exact description)

Ok, I believe this is enough for now; however, we do have more ideas. If we're heading in the right direction, let us know and we will add to the list.
The Romantic Saps: Nancy, Ashley and Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home