Friday, October 28, 2005

The Not-Just-Another-Update Update

I suppose it's the best example of how far this blog has fallen off the map that whenever I do post, it's a hurried "don't-have-time-for-a-real-entry, but-here's-some-boring-bullet-points-of-how-I'm-doing-sorry, I'll-write-more-later-when-things-settle-down" post. Blech. How the middling have fallen.

I've come to an understanding: things will never settle down. By the time leave in December, I will have gone non-stop for several months in a row. So I might as well stop fooling myself that leisure time will abruptly appear in front of me, and just try to make the blog at least a minor priority. Peracchio, my constant inspiration, continues to update RNF constantly, and he's not exactly lazing around these days. So there's no excuse.

Well, since I haven't really updated since before I shot "A Great and Terrible Beauty," and I'm shooting "Casablanca" tomorrow, I should probably hunker down a little and get something down.

Reasons For Not Writing: The main reason that there've been no updates is that whenever I've been around a computer, I've felt obliged to work on one of my scripts. Either I've been researching for my "Casablanca" script (the quantity of research I've had to do for this film is unbelievable) or touching up the boxing script (
still unnamed) or outlining my directed study (more updates on that later).

But it's time to change all that. Let's start with the finished films.

Coffeehouse Film: I finally completed "A Great and Terrible Beauty" a few weeks ago, despite massive computer problems that almost completely destroyed the film and actually did destroy my spirit. I premiered the film to absolutely no critical acclaim whatsoever, due to audio problems and a complete lack of adept storytelling. I'll give you a full review on this and "Lights" later, rather than expanding this one out.

Dark Rejected Lover Film: "Lights" was my grand experiment. I wrote a highly visual story, envisioned something even bigger, and went and shot something outrageously complicated. It sort of worked. I'm lucky it even worked as well as it did. I made every shot a moving shot, using a homemade steadicam. When the steadicam broke an hour into shooting, I shot the rest handheld. I scored the film through Garageband, which I'm pretty sure is not how Hans Zimmer goes about it. And almost every transition is wiped away by an object crossing the screen (you have no idea how much work it can take, sometimes, to create this crappy effect. I wish I'd known). When I screened the film, I got a lot of good reaction: people loved the visual style, they loved the direction I took, they loved the score, they loved the wipes. They barely understood my story and they never really got into it. And I'm not surprised. It doesn't even feel like a film, it feels like a music video. Still, I'm glad I did it. I learned a lot.

Trouble Brewing: But there's trouble brewing: Dr. Walker e-mailed me to tell me that the film festival this year is only accepting 5-minute films. Which is a tremendous disappointment to me, because it means my directed study film can't be in the film festival. And that's sad because my directed study film is all about Asbury, and I want to show it to as many people I possibly can. Also, the Theatre and Cinema department has claimed the Sony HDV camera for their film. Which is expected, they should have first dibs, we bought the camera for them to use it. Here's the kicker, though: the spring semester film shoots over spring break - 5 or 6 long days, and the film's completely done. But no one else is allowed to touch the camera whatsoever until two weeks after the film has finished shooting. From the beginning of the semester until April 3rd, the camera on which I have the most experience is off limits. I'm baffled. I'm disappointed. But I do have good news.

Romantic Comedy: Not only was my directed study application approved, but I've also joined up with a co-director for the project: Mary Lashbrook. There are several reasons this is a good thing:

Reasons Mary Joining the Film is a good thing:
a) Mary is extremely cool
b) Mary is a fantastic screenwriter - she's working on a full-length right now, a middle school version of
The Godfather. Nickelodeon is actually having her pitch it to the executives.
c) Which shows how much Mary is the perfect person to co-write this project with, because she writes in the exact right style for the film
c) There's a lot of pressure taken off my shoulders, because I really struggle at producing, and...
d) Mary is a producer. She's producing a short film this semester in the same class that I'm making the boxing film, Hollywood Production (Vanessa Roggio is directing). It's set, interestingly enough, in the Middle Ages,
and she's already found a castle to shoot in. In California. For free. You have no idea how unheard of that is. We were pumped to get a boxing gym for only $300 a day.

Boxing Film: Speaking of the boxing film, let me just say that I'm thrilled to death that I have two hard-working producers on this film with me. I would be a terrible producer. They're all working out the details of insurance, and scheduling auditions, and figuring out what scenes we're shooting which days, and all I have to do is show up and be creative. It's awesome.

Casablanca: And finally, I finished the screenplay for "Casablanca," which I'm shooting tomorrow and Sunday. It's gonna be simply fantastic. I don't mean in terms of how good the film is actually going to turn out to be, because the film is actually going to be terrible. Instead, I mean that it's gonna be simply fantastic to shoot: I've written in dance sequences and fight sequences and science-fiction sequences and comedy sequences and a lot of lightsaber action. It's going to be one of the craziest days in the history of filmmaking. And at the end it's going to be awful.

Because, you see, the script is entirely too smart. I don't mean "smart" as in "intelligent," I mean "smart" as in "you need to know loads of useless trivia to understand this film." I references all sorts of obscure films: Robert Altman's
3 Women, Oliver Stone's JFK and Alexander, Robert Rodriguez's El Mariachi, and Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain, which hasn't even been released yet. In fact, I've never actually seen any of those movies. I'm telling jokes that even I don't understand. It's ridiculous. It even references things like the films of John Woo, William Shatner's short-lived directing career, and every Michael Bay movie ever made. It's wildly over the top. No one is gonna understand a word.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope you are, too.


1 Comments:

At October 28, 2005 5:04 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I'm your inspiration? Aw, Wyman, I'm touched.

Really.

The application date for AP next summer looms ever closer, and to be frank, I'm terrified. I'm going for probably one of the hardest internships that they offer.

Mayhaps I'll just call you instead of leaving a horrendously long comment.

Oh, and I think I recognized maybe one of those obscure movies. Possibly two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home