Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm surprisingly good with fortune cookies.

Have I ever mentioned how good I am at getting excellent fortunes every time I eat Chinese food?

I know that's a strange talent to be proud of, but I'm stunningly lucky at them for someone so generally misbegotten. Most people get things like "life is a hard road, but those who persevere are stronger for it," or "think happier thoughts." I generally get things like "the people around you will come to see your ideas are superior," and "it will be hard for people to not fall in love with you."

Those are both real fortunes I've gotten.

I once bragged about this to a group of my friends, and they laughed and scoffed (I have great friends, you see). "No one's good at getting fortunes," they pointed out. "It's just all chance."

"I really am," I replied. "I know it sounds weird, but I'm lucky at it."

I had the poor judgment to be holding an unopened fortune cookie in my hands while I said this.

"Prove it," they said.

"I'm going to," I said, cracking open the fortune cookie with a bravado that, to this day, I have no idea where it came from. "I'm just very lucky this. I'll show you."

"No way. Nobody's lucky at this."

"I am. I'm just very lucky."

I pulled out the slip of paper and read my fortune aloud: "You are very lucky."

They stared at me open-mouthed. "There's no way that actually happened," one of them whispered.



I bring this story up because a few days ago, I cracked open a fortune cookie and read: "Your ability to find the silly in the serious will take you far." I don't know what that means, exactly, but I am so pumped for this.

In a related note, I'm starting the writing process for my musical adaptation of Hotel Rwanda this week.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 31, 2007 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not misbegotten. You just have a small black cloud over you that follows you where ever you go.

 
At January 31, 2007 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the temporary snowstorm of words, don't know what happened. Wordpress must've decided it hated life or something.

I can't vouch for whether it'll take you far or not, but your ability to find humor in any situations has, well, made my life much more humorous.

When you coming back to visit?

 
At February 01, 2007 1:25 AM, Blogger Kate said...

You should map out all of the Chinese restaurants where you've had fortune cookies...that would be rather fascinating.

in fact...it would be super fascinating to do a sociological study on the subject...maybe in my free time =)

 
At February 01, 2007 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So there is a story about fortune cookies...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home