Sunday, June 12, 2005

Wedding Invitation

A few days ago I had a new first – I got a wedding invitation from an ex-girlfriend. Now, I know that it’s socially mandated that one must follow this event with a period of deep mourning, punctuated by laments about one’s inability to find the right match, and reminisces to better times. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. Which is why I find it unusual that the news doesn’t really bother me at all. I was much more upset about the fact that I won’t be able to attend (I won’t be back from Romania for another two weeks) than about how the news is another sign of the lack of fulfillment in my sad, lonely search for "the one," but… you know, come to think of it, why should news like this bother one? It should only matter if one isn’t over said girlfriend completely, so maybe there’d be that element of jealousy and “what if?” But if that’s not the case - I can’t think of any past girlfriend where I’d feel put out upon receiving news that they were getting married. I mean, that’s how relationships work – you date someone, if it doesn’t work out, you two go your separate ways, and then you spend as much time as you need getting over that other person. But whenever that time has passed, you should be able to let go, and when situations like this come along, it shouldn’t faze you. In fact, shouldn't you be happy? This is a person who you know very well and are very fond of, and they're going on into wedded bliss, which is a wonderful thing. And if things ended poorly and you still hold grudges against them, I find you guilty of self-centeredness and disdain your inability to get over yourself. Pull it together, people.

In fact, I bet this whole wedding-funk is more just one of those mystifying "girl things."

We’ll see if that stirs up any controversy. I kind of hope so – 10-4GB could use some. Bring on the flame mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home