Thursday, November 18, 2004

Orphans!

I'll be honest, there are a lot of pictures here. Perhaps too many. Fortunately, they're all done as thumbnails, so you can pick and choose which ones you'd like to enlarge (the ones featuring cute orphans) and the ones that you wouldn't (the ones featuring me).

Still, this page gives you a better idea than anything else of what my summer was like - in these assorted images, you see exactly where my heart lies; and what it is that I'm missing so badly. Enjoy their smiles and pray for them, because if the situation doesn't change in the near future, these kids will never, ever, be adopted.

By the way, in past posts featuring pictures, my grammar was embarassingly critiqued for incorrect usage of "me," "myself," and so on. As a result, in this post, I have every intention of using those words incorrectly as many times as possible. Me might even turn off the comments, so y'all can't say a single thing to I about it.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Emil and Gabi. This pictures sums the two of them up pretty well.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Emilia and me. Normally I put the names left to right, but I figured you could guess in this case.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sanda, who I would adopt in a heartbeat, if the Romanian government saw fit to allow the adoption of three-year-old Gypsy by an unemployed bankrupt American college student. Hey, it could happen.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Timea and I bickered throughout much of the summer, until it finally came to a head one day. I kept her in time-out for two hours until she finally apologized. From then on, we were the best of friends. I don't know how that happened, but I wish it was the case with more kids. Pamela and Gabi ran me ragged.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is Ramona not eating, while I contribute my views on the subject.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chris tries to play with Dora as Emil plants yet another kiss on him. He's pretty fruity for a three-year-old, I'll be honest. Cried for two hours until we let him get his nails painted with the girls. Total Liberace. I would've taken him with me in a second.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is Geta. I met Whitney and Elliott, the parents who have trying to adopt her for two years, before adoptions closed for good. It's terrible because the two of them would be so perfect for her, exactly what she needs, and if the EU has it's way, it'll never happen. Still, keep the situation in mind: Elliott and Whitney have a hearing on September 14th in D.C. with an organization that deals with situations like this in fifty different countries. If the hearing goes well...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Me 'n Robi.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sanda is quite determined not to be photogenic. She sometimes doesn't succeed.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Nati actually adopts this expression most of the time. When I first got there, she would sit and stare for hours on end. We decided that she would grow up to be the world's scariest goth chick.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Me, Adam, 'n Catalin check out the scene outside. This is their favorite thing to do.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Gabi's hobby is destroying cameras brought my unsuspecting short-term American missionaries.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Catalin.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
It's been suggested that Emil will grow up to be an underwear model. This is not unlikely, since he's already got the million-dollar smile and flamboyant behavior.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Maria is not legally supposed to be at the orphanage, since the law states that no child can be in an orphanage or foster home until the age of two. The government thinks it would be better if the kids were all kept in one room at the hospital, where they can be completely neglected by government-approved personnel. This is a good idea except for the fact that it makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Dora.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is Ramona, who is almost five but can't speak yet and displays a number of autistic symptoms. A family is trying to get permission to bring her to the States to get treatment. The Romanian government, naturally, has met such a suggestion with open arms, which is why Ramona is still there.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Catalin, not looking his brightest. He's actually quite a clever little kid. Not that the workers have noticed.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
These kids know no Romanian songs, but they do know all the motions to "I'm in the Lord's Army," which is more than most kids who have performed it in front of church on Youth Sunday.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Dia went through an entirely bottle of bubbles without ever really getting the knack. Still, you've got to admire her determination.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is a pretty good indication of what Robi is like.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is a good indication of what Gabi is like right after she's done something wicked.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Back Row: Dia and Gabi.
Front Row: Ariel, Geta, Sanda, and Sarah
This picture was taken while I was in Budapest, which is why everyone looks happy and actually got dressed up for once.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Anca dubbed Daria "the Mexican Grandma." Tell me if you can see it, too.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
And finally, this is Martin, who always looks forlorn when he eats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home