Thursday, August 10, 2006

Gay Marriage and the Like

Queue has calmly and logically stated her opinion on the church and gay marriage, and I find it remarkably parallel to my own. I'd always thought about putting a long and emotional post here about the subject, but I like her style of bullet points much better.

This is part of a larger beef of mine, that all moral and environmental issues have become the property of political parties and no longer reside in the realm of private opinion. Abortion. Global warming. Separation of church and state. Prayer in schools. People argue - persuasively - for their viewpoints, but their viewpoints are always the same. Few Democrats will voice an opinion to overturn Roe V. Wade. An occasional Republican announces how inspired he was by "An Inconvenient Truth." But it's rare, it's incredibly rare.

I know that everyone holds pretty tight to their convictions, and firmly believes that they arrived at these choices through their own decisions. But the fact remains that pretty much everyone in America falls into one of two groups on all of these issues.

If we all really arrived at our own moral conclusions, there's no way that would be possible.

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2006 9:10 PM, Blogger Jihad Hernandez said...

your views on gay marriage are challenging me, and that's good. I even read the article Queue linked in her post, and it's given me stuff to wrestle with.

On another note referring to the 'humanity switch' that businesses should have....a lady came into work yesterday to return something and the reciept was date almost two weeks past the return date. To which she said "Oh. I'm sorry. I just had a baby and I only now made it to the store. I guess I'll take it back." So I told her that I would talk to my manager and see if I couldn't work something out. My manager gave the okay to return it anyway, the lady went away happy.

yes the law is the law. But there's always gotta be grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home