Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Things are looking up

When I first moved into my new apartment, I complained a lot about it. I had a right. No A/C, no stove, no fridge, broken toilet, broken sink, broken lock on the door, trash everywhere, etc. I was pissed, and I think I had a right to be. And my apartment complex adopted an incredibly laissez-faire attitude about the whole thing, passing the whole thing off, ignoring it as much as I would let them. But finally I got a stove and an fridge and an A/C and a lock and a sink and a toilet in, and so even though everyone was telling me I should just move out, I stuck around.

Well, I should've listened.

Since we moved in about six weeks ago, we have had:

1. A shooting in our parking lot. I wasn't there for this one, but Chris called me to let me know to be careful on my way home. Believe me, I was - I even had him unlock the door as I was pulling in, so that I wouldn't have to spend any time fumbling for keys.
2. Domestic disputes. Our next door neighbors are a somewhat troubled live-in couple who have about six kids who live with them. Every now and then they'll get in a fight and and one of them will call the cops, or one of them will come over and have us call the cops for them. By the time the cops arrive, the dispute is always taken care of, so they'll inform the cops that "nobody called them." As a result of this "prank calling" on our part, the cops don't like us much. On the other hand, the couple next door are our best friends at the complex by far.
3. A dead body in our parking lot. I couldn't go to work one morning because when I went out the door, the way out was blocked by police cars. Our landlady told me that there was nothing to worry about, and that the man had died of natural causes and wasn't a resident. This seemed a bit callous, and also probably untrue, since this didn't explain why there were 8 patrol cars and a detective examining the scene of this natural death. Our next door neighbor said he thought he'd been shot, but by then it was mid-morning, and so of course he'd already had a few.
4. A lot of angry men sitting in their vans staking out our apartment complex. I don't know who they're waiting for, I'm just glad it's not me.
5. A lack of good parking spaces.
6. Groups of brutish looking twenty-somethings pounding on our door, looking for "Luis." We don't know who Luis is, but we wish he'd stop giving people our address and telling them it's his.
7. A mass arrest. This afternoon, Chris arrived home to discover a group of undercover cops had come and arrested a good portion of the neighbors. We don't know what they did.

So it's been an interesting month and a half. What's funny about this is that my mom wanted me to move away from my old apartment because it was so dangerous, and I lived there a year and there was only one murder, plus my mailbox and car getting broken into a couple times. So really, in comparison, it was a very safe environment, a veritable Seahaven. How naive we were.

Still, maybe things will get better. Maybe this mass arrest is a good thing - it might solve some of the problems mentioned above. If nothing else, it should at least solve the parking situation.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At October 03, 2007 8:40 PM, Blogger GraniteDad said...

This is why we love you.

 
At October 03, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Seriously. You are officially on decision-making restriction. As your practically related good friend I'm pulling rank and refusing to let you make another life decision for at least another year. No choosing apartments, no picking cars, no looking for good TV bargains...nothing. Have other, wiser, non-jinxed people make all decisions more important than white or wheat. We want you sticking around, kid.

By the way, how's Digger handling all of this?

 
At October 03, 2007 11:19 PM, Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

Now I'm really looking forward to visiting you next week. Should I pack heat?

 
At October 03, 2007 11:31 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Whoa there...ummm, maybe you should consider writing a book about your many apartment living situations.

Props to you for having all the amazing stories to tell =)

 
At October 04, 2007 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't your friend warn you about this place?!

 
At October 04, 2007 2:10 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

apparently his half is fine.

 
At October 04, 2007 5:45 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Or his definition of "fine" is not the same as yours.

 
At October 04, 2007 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to me all the place is missing are apartments buildings that spontaneously burst into flame twice a year. That would make a reeeaaally great place to live!

 
At October 04, 2007 6:03 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

The apartments across from us burned down, but that was right before we moved in, so it doesn't count.

 
At October 04, 2007 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better take good care that nothing happens to your father when he comes down. We've taken John-Adrian and Sam out to dinner and Jonathan and Heidi as well. And he's sent me flowers. So I'm nervous. Emily will need her Pops.

 
At October 04, 2007 11:19 PM, Blogger Ben said...

hey, look on the bright side:

"pushing daisies" has to be one of the most creative new show concepts ever to air!

i think i watch too much tv.

 
At October 04, 2007 11:30 PM, Blogger Ben Wyman said...

Don't worry about it, I watched it on ABC's site just this morning - it's by the same guy who made "Heroes" and "Wonderfalls," so I figured it was a lock that I'd like it. And, of course, it was. Long live quirkiness and originality on network TV!

 
At October 05, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Dubbahdee said...

Ummmm...you said that the stake out is just fine, as long as they aren't watching you.

Are you sure that they aren't?

 
At October 09, 2007 10:34 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Perhaps you just need to befriend a shady character living in your building. Then, you can have many whacky adventures. I can see it now: Wyman & the Pimp with a Heart of Gold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home